I/O error flushing output to client
Martin Kellermann
2002-05-16 12:58:34 UTC
hi all!

i searched already alot concerning the following qpopper error, but did not
find an
satisfying answer.
i ran qpopper 4.0.4 on linux 2.4.18
no ssl, mysql or any other "special" enabled. just simple pop3.
sometimes the log shows:

popper[]: I/O error flushing output to client blah at blah [blah]:
Operation not permitted (1)

what does this really mean, and when will it occur?
i dont think it´s just some network connection troubles...or is it?

thanx

MK
Daniel Senie
2002-05-16 13:54:02 UTC
Post by Martin Kellermann
hi all!
i searched already alot concerning the following qpopper error, but did
not find an
satisfying answer.
i ran qpopper 4.0.4 on linux 2.4.18
no ssl, mysql or any other "special" enabled. just simple pop3.
Operation not permitted (1)
what does this really mean, and when will it occur?
Client (remote machine) closed the connection, qpopper tried to write to
the socket, but the TCP session was already closed by the kernel on the
server in response to the close from the client.
Post by Martin Kellermann
i dont think it´s just some network connection troubles...or is it?
See if your client gave up. That's the usual cause.

Daniel Senie ***@senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc. http://www.amaranth.com
Martin Kellermann
2002-05-16 14:18:44 UTC
Post by Daniel Senie
Post by Martin Kellermann
hi all!
i searched already alot concerning the following qpopper error, but did
not find an
satisfying answer.
i ran qpopper 4.0.4 on linux 2.4.18
no ssl, mysql or any other "special" enabled. just simple pop3.
Operation not permitted (1)
what does this really mean, and when will it occur?
Client (remote machine) closed the connection, qpopper tried to write to
the socket, but the TCP session was already closed by the kernel on the
server in response to the close from the client.
ok, sounds good :) thanks.
so i can safely ignore this messages, because the connection is ALWAYS
closed by the remote machine?
or can this error also be generated by a messed up local tcp socket or
another weird local problem?
Post by Daniel Senie
Post by Martin Kellermann
i dont think it´s just some network connection troubles...or is it?
See if your client gave up. That's the usual cause.
something else:
can i suppress the "-ERR POP EOF or I/O Error" (that occurs, for example
when client telnets port 110, logs in and then kills telnet session without
logging out) without patching the sources?
some of my clients are using a "broken" mailer software that behaves like
explained, and my logs are full of " -ERR POP EOF or I/O Error"...

thanx

MK
Randall Gellens
2002-05-20 23:30:31 UTC
Post by Martin Kellermann
Post by Daniel Senie
Post by Martin Kellermann
popper[]: I/O error flushing output to client blah at blah
[blah]: Operation not permitted (1)
what does this really mean, and when will it occur?
Client (remote machine) closed the connection, qpopper tried to
write to the socket, but the TCP session was already closed by the
kernel on the server in response to the close from the client.
ok, sounds good :) thanks.
so i can safely ignore this messages, because the connection is ALWAYS
closed by the remote machine?
or can this error also be generated by a messed up local tcp socket or
another weird local problem?
It could be generated in response to some network problem, yes. Most
likely it is just a client that closes the connection without sending
'quit'.
Post by Martin Kellermann
can i suppress the "-ERR POP EOF or I/O Error" (that occurs, for example
when client telnets port 110, logs in and then kills telnet session without
logging out) without patching the sources?
Not currently.